Saturday, March 3, 2012

Where it began

The seeds of Africa were planted in my heart at a very young age.  When I was about seven years old an evangelist came to our church from South Africa.  He shares so simply how much Jesus loved me and He died so that I could experience that love.  My heart nearly exploded and as I asked Jesus to fill me with that love - He did.  I remember feeling so light and free - and at the same time I thought I want to go to Africa some day!

Many times throughout my life I would respond to God and express to Him my willingness to do what ever He asked me to do and go where ever He wanted me to go.  If you have know me more than five minutes you know that I am neither "perfect" or "good enough" to be chosen - but He chose me anyhow.  I have made many mistakes in my life and have missed the mark, but God is faithful even when I am not.  He does not look at my qualifications, He looks at my willingness and then He qualifies me. 

This summer I will begin a journey that has been in my heart since I was a little girl.  People have told me I am crazy, foolish and the list goes on and on.  However, when I read about the men and women in the Bible who actually followed Christ, many of then were misunderstood as well.  I have a pretty good understanding that this will not be easy, but the last several years of my life have not been easy either.  I believe that God had to work some things out of me before I was able to be used by Him to the hurting people of Africa.  I am also excited about the lives that will be forever changed as we journey together.

I will be selling everything by the end of May.  That sounds so final, but it is true.  I have cried buckets of tears as I have processed through this next phase of the journey.  There is something freeing and something a little unnerving about that all at the same time. I look around my little apartment and realize I have a lot to get rid of in the next three months!   I will be leaving my kids and grand kids because I feel deep inside of my heart this is what I was created to do.  I am putting the house on the market Monday and trusting God that it will be sold quickly.  That will be the first time in my life that I will not have a permanent address. 

A am grateful for the journey and in awe of the opportunity that lies before me.  I hope as we journey together that we will grow in the fullness of what God has for all of us and see His Kingdom unfold before us.  May His grace and peace fill your heart today as you continue on your passionate pursuit of Him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment